Head, Construction Engineering and Management Program, Associate Professor
Professor Yehiel Rosenfeld (born 1952) heads the Construction Engineering and Management Program at Technion – Israel Institute of Technology, where he teaches Graduate and Undergraduate courses. He is also a senior researcher at the Israeli National Building Research Institute, where he conducts studies and projects for government and for public and private organizations. He has served as Visiting Professor at M.I.T. – Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where he had taught four full academic years (Sabbaticals) in addition to research collaborations. Dr. Rosenfeld has gained a broad perspective of the construction industry worldwide as a member of the Board of Directors of two leading international organizations: CIB – The International Council for Research and Innovation in Building and Construction (the major International scientific organization of research institutes worldwide in building, construction and related fields), and IAARC – The International Association for Automation and Robotics in Construction. He has been involved in the pioneering introduction and development of most innovative construction methods and technologies during the last two decades – including a new concept for deployable structures, prefabrication, construction industrialization, automation and robotics in construction, and floating mega-facilities. He founded the Laboratory for Automation and Robotics in Construction – where construction technologies of the next generation are being developed. Many of his research projects, theses of graduate students, and professional publications deal with conceptual and practical aspects of innovative construction technologies. He is the Developer of a prototype semi-automatic navigation system for construction cranes; Co-developer of an innovative crane-mounted video camera system that serves as an operator aid; and developer of a multipurpose construction robot. He pioneered the application of Quality Circles to construction sites in Israel and in the USA with major productivity gains, and he established the Center for Construction Safety within the National Building Research Institute. Currently, Professor Rosenfeld is initiating two nationwide projects: improving the quality record of the construction industry, and upgrading the dwelling standard in existing housing stocks through a sophisticated techno-economic sustainable urban-regeneration plan. He acts as consultant and serves on important National and International professional committees, where he brings research into practice through interactions with top-level policy-makers, executives, and practitioners. He leads a successful Master of Engineering Executive Program in Construction Management, specializing in Entrepreneurship and Business Administration in Construction, within the framework of Technion's Continuing Education Unit.
Selected publications (since 2000)
· Shoval, S., Rosenfeld, Y. and Navon, R., “Automatic Palletizing of Concrete Pavement Blocks: An Algorithm for Near-Optimal Assembly”, Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, Vol. 16, 2001, pp. 180-187.
· Shohet, I. M., Rosenfeld, Y., Puterman, M., and Gilboa, E., “Deterioration Patterns of Building Cladding Components for Maintenance Management”, Construction Management and Economics, Vol. 20, No. 4, Spon Publisher, 2002, pp. 305-314.
· Kahane, B., and Rosenfeld, Y., “Balancing Human and Robot Integration in Building Tasks”. Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, Vol. 19, 2003, pp. 393-410.
· Kahane, B., and Rosenfeld, Y., “Real-time ‘Sense-and-Act’ Operation for Construction Robots”, Automation in Construction, Vol. 13, Elsevier Publisher, 2004, pp. 751-764.
· Shapira, A., Rosenfeld, Y., and Mizrahi, I. (2008). “Vision system for tower cranes,” Journal of Construction Engineering and Management, ASCE, 134(5), 320–332.
· Rosenfeld, Y., “Cost of Quality versus Cost of Non-quality in Construction: The crucial Balance”, Journal of Construction Management and Economics. Vol. 27, No.2, Feb. 2009, pp. 107-117
· Sacks, R., Rozenfeld, O., and Rosenfeld, Y., “Spatial and Temporal Exposure to safety hazards in Construction”, ASCE Journal of Construction Engineering and Management. Submitted Feb. 2007, Accepted June 2008, In press June 2009.
· Rosenfeld, Y., Sacks, R., and Rozenfeld, O., “'CHASTE' Construction Hazard Assessment with Spatial and Temporal Exposure”, Construction Management and Economics. Submitted 2007, Accepted 2008.
· Shapira, A., and Rosenfeld, Y., “Achieving construction innovation through academia-industry cooperation – keys to success,” Journal of Professional Issues in Engineering Education and Practice (accepted for publication).