B.Sc., Water Engineering, Faculty of Agricultural Engineering, Technion - Israel Institute of Technology. Cum Laude
M.Sc., Environmental Engineering, Faculty of Civil Engineering, Technion - Israel Institute of Technology.
Ph.D., Environmental Engineering, Faculty of Agricultural Engineering, Technion - Israel Institute of Technology.
Albert and Ann Mansfield Chair in Water Science and Technology.
Professor, Faculty of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Technion, Israel Institute of Technology.
Head of the Grand Water Research Institute, Technion.
2008 - 2015
Associate Professor, Faculty of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Technion, Israel Institute of Technology.
Visiting Scholar, Duke University (sabbatical)
Senior Lecturer, Faculty of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Technion, Israel Institute of Technology.
2001 - 2003
Senior Research Associate, Faculty of Agricultural Engineering, Technion, Israel Institute of Technology.
1999 - 2001
Post Doctoral Fellow, University of Cape Town, Civil Engineering Department. Host: Prof. Richard Loewenthal.
Aquatic chemistry; Water and wastewater treatment; focus on physical-chemical process development; Desalination; Aquacultural engineering
Aquatic Chemistry (undergraduate level). March 2003 - present.
Chemistry of environmental processes (graduate level). 2007 - 2012.
Subsurface Drainage Engineering (undergraduate level). 2002 - 2006.
Urban Drainage Engineering (undergraduate + graduate level). 2002 - 2006.
Water and Wastewater Treatment 1 (graduate level): October 2014 - present.
Public Professional Activities
2004-2007 Member of both the Physical Quality and Water Treatment Sub-Committees of the Committee for the Revision of Potable Water Quality (Adin's Committee), Israeli Ministry of Health (Author of the new Israeli criteria for quality of desalinated water).
2006-2008 Member of the Research Committee (Water and Soil Research), Ministry of Agriculture, Israel.
2007-2007 Member of the Research Committee of BARD (US-Israel Bi-national Agricultural Research and Development Fund)
2008-2012 Member of the Research Committee (Increasing water usage efficiency), Ministry of Agriculture, Israel.
2012 - 2014 Member of editorial board of the Israeli Journal Water and Irrigation.
2013 Member of the ISF research committee (Chemical and Environmental Eng.).
2014 - 2015 Member of the Advisory Committee for Drinking Water Quality, Ministry of Health, Israel
2014 - 2015 Member of the Editorial Board of the journal 'Scientific Reports' (IF = 5.07). Nature Publishing Group, England.
2014 - 2015 Member of the Israeli Council for Higher Education Committee for evaluating the new (MSc) Water study program proposed by Tel Hay College.
2016 - Member of the Editorial Board of the journal 'ChemEngineering' (ISSN 2305-7084), MDPI, Switzerland.
2008 - 2012 Chairman of the departmental Graduate Committee.
2008 -2012; 2014 - 2015 Member of the Faculty Graduate Committee.
2004-2008; 2011-2012 Member of the Research Committee, GWRI.
2012 Member of the Grand Water Institute Equipment Committee.
2014 - 2015; 2016 Faculty representative at TGIT program.
2015 - Head of research centers, Department of Env., Water & Agri. Eng.
Army Service (IDF): Armored forces. Released from active duty in 2005 at Lieutenant Colonel.
1. Yuval Alfia. M.Sc. 2004. Investigation of the clogging mechanism, and development of operation parameters for a passive-aeration novel biological vertical bed.
2. Amitai Sagiv. M.Sc. 2004. Modification, calibration and verification of a model depicting hydrogen sulfide emission rates in gravity sewers.
3. Sivan Klas. M.Sc. 2005. Development of a cost effective and simple process for nitrate removal from intensive aquaculture systems by denitrification using intrinsic organic carbon source.
4. Dan Firer. M.Sc. 2006. Investigation of the use of iron salts to control odor and corrosion in urban sewer systems (co-supervision with E. Friedler).
5. Tsabar Mor. M.Sc. 2007. Removal of NH3(g) from broiler house emissions and its subsequence use as fertilizer.
6. Inbal Abraham. M.Sc. 2007. Development of a general method for calculation and allocation of river strips for a spatial drainage system.
7. Gendel, Yuri. M.Sc. 2007. Investigation of a chemical-biological process for H2S removal from biogas emissions.
8. Iris Bar-Massada. M.Sc. 2007. Study of the parameters that affect anaerobic ammonia oxidation (anammox) as part of a process aimed at complete removal of nitrogen species from recirculating aquaculture systems.
9. Somaya Falah. M.Sc. (2009) Deliberate struvite precipitation from the supernatant of sludge dewatering facilities for both phosphorus recycling and decrease in nutrients load on wastewater treatment plants.
10. Halil Eid. M.Sc. (2009). Calibration and implementation of 'QUEST' method as a basis for developing a tool for the assessment of sewer exfiltration and its minimization (co-supervision with E. Friedler).
11. Naomi Levi. M.Sc. (2009) Investigation of the kinetics of low-pH ferrous oxidation by O2 as part of a process aimed at H2S(g) removal from biogas.
12. Liat Birnhack. Ph.D. (2010) Development and modeling of a cost effective and advantageous post treatment process for desalinated water.
13. Klas Sivan. Ph.D. (2010) Removal of heavy metals by their stable incorporation into ferrites at ambient temperature: process development and modeling.
14. Elya Ofer M.Sc. (2010) Stabilization of the ferrite crystal as part of a process aimed at heavy metals removal from industrial wastes at ambient temperature. Co-supervision with Yael Dubowski.
15. Noga Fridman. M.Sc. (2010) Minimization of bromate formation as part of the operation of a non-thermal-plasma method for oxidation of refractory organic compounds.
16. Mizrahi Anat. M.Sc. in Tel Hay College. (2011) Removal of Methyl Tert-Butyl Ether (MTBE), Trichloroethylene (TCE) and Azo dye from drinking water by a new plasma-based advanced oxidation technology: a kinetics study. Co-supervision with I. Tal-Or (Tel Hai college).
17. Shaul Oren. M.Sc. (2011) Development of a post treatment process for magnesium addition to inorganic carbon rich desalinated brackish water.
18. Yuri Gendel Ph.D. (2012). Indirect ammonia electro-oxidation: Reaction mechanism investigation and implementation on intensive aquaculture ponds.
19. Yuval Shwartz. M.Sc. (2013) Development of a process for treatment of swine wastes using ion exchange and electrochemical regeneration.
20. Tali Ben Dov. M.Sc. (2013) Development of an electrochemical process for regeneration of ion exchange resins used for ammonia removal in industrial processes.
21. Amir Zivan. MSc. (2013) Development of a cost effective and environmental method for commercial breeding of mullet fish (Mugil cephalus) in low-salinity waters.
22. Raz Ben Asher. (2013) M.Sc. Development of a biological process for combined removal of nitrogen and phosphorus compounds from effluents of intensive aquaculture systems.
23. Marina Telzhensky, Ph.D. (2015) Selective separation of Mg2+ from seawater via ion-exchange assisted nanofiltration: process development and determination of controlling ion-separation mechanisms.
24. Oded Nir. PhD. (2015). Removal of boron from seawater by reverse osmosis membranes: new operational approach and advanced process simulation.
25. Orly Lehman. M.Sc. (2015) Selective magnetic separation of Mg2+ ions from SWRO brine by adsorption on magnetite crystals, for production of magnesium compounds and reuse thereof in water treatment processes.
26. Paz Nativ. MSc. (2016) Membrane based methods for selective separation of Mg2+ and Ca2+ ions from seawater, for improving the quality of soft and desalinated waters
27. Liron Ophek. MSc. (2016) Improving the energy efficiency of combined boron and TDS rejection within seawater reverse osmosis systems.
28. David Lehman. MSc. Separation of NH4+ from municipal wastewater and oxidation to N2(g) using an electrochemically-regenerated ion exchange process. Final stages.
Theses in progress
29. Raz Ben Asher. PhD. Novel and advantageous physical-chemical treatment approach for growing warm-water fish in recirculated aquaculture systems (RAS). Expected graduation: April 2018.
30. Inbal Fux. MSc. A sustainable physical-chemical method for removing nitrate from drinking water. Expected graduation: March 2017.
31. Hadas Segal. MSc. Development of a second pass as part of an energy efficient seawater RO process aimed at boron and TDS removal. Expected graduation: March 2017.
32. Noa Rolider. M.Sc. Improvement and quantitative assessment of a physical-chemical approach for growing striped-bass in a freshwater recirculated aquaculture system. Expected graduation: March 2017.
33. Yaron Aviezer. MSc. Development of a process of preparation of raw material for a thermal reduction retort, for the production of solid magnesium from sea water RO brines. Expected graduation: March 2017.
Supervision of research staff
Emily Shlafman (B.Sc.). October 2002 to October 2003; Sharon Molchanov (M.Sc.). September 2004 to September 2006; Sivan Klas (M.Sc.). January 2005 to September 2006; Beni Lew (Ph.D.) April 2007 to April 2008; Adina Moshe (M.Sc.). October 2006 to December 2008; Irina Zuev (Ph.D). Post doc, April 2009 - December 2009; Liat Birnhack (Ph.D). Research Associate. March 2011 - present; Samuel Tang (Ph.D). Post Doc. November 2015 - present.
Research Grants (External sources)
1. 2003 - 2006, Lake Kineret Drainage Authority, $75,000. Research on vegetated channels from both hydraulic and ecological perspectives (PIs: Shavit, Lahav, Carmel).
2. 2003 - 2004, Israel Oceanographic and Limnological Research Ltd., $5500. Development of a cost effective and simple process for nitrate removal from intensive aquaculture system by denitrification using intrinsic carbon source.
3. 2004 - 2007, BARD, $167,000. Elimination of Emissions of Ammonia and Hydrogen Sulfide from Confined Animal and Feeding Operations (CAFO) Using an Adsorption/Liquid-Redox Process with Biological Regeneration (PIs: Lahav, Broday).
4. 2005 - 2006, Haifa municipality + Keren Sapir: Prevention of odors and corrosion from gravity sewers - investigation into engineering and economical aspects. $32,000, (PIs: Friedler, Lahav).
5. 2005 - 2008, Min. of the Environment, Israel. $55,000. Calibration and implementation of 'QUEST' method as a basis for developing a tool for the assessment of sewer exfiltration and its minimization (PIs: Friedler, Lahav).
6. 2005 - 2008, $111,000, Ministry of Agriculture: Monitoring of Recirculated Aquaculture Systems.
7. 2005- 2008, Ministry of Agriculture. Optimal management and maintenance of recirculated aquaculture systems. (PIs: Lahav, Mozes, Halachmi). Technion's part = $18,600 (out of $53,000).
8. 2005 - 2006, Israeli Water Commission office. $9,000. Theoretical investigation of the 'Red Water' phenomenon.
9. 2006 - 2009, US-AID, MERC. Land-based Mariculture Wastewater Treatment - keeping the Red Sea clean. In collaboration with National Center for Mariculture in Eilat and Jordanian researchers from Aqaba. Technion's part (PI: Lahav) = $54,000 (out of $500,000).
10. 2006 - 2008, Mekorot, $19,000, Studies into struvite precipitation from wastewater treatment plants.
11. 2007 - 2008. Gurwin Fund, $35,000. Development of a cost effective and advantageous post treatment process for desalinated water.
12. 2007 - 2010, BMBF-MOS, $170,000. Removal of heavy metals by their stable incorporation into ferrites at ambient temperature: process development and modeling, and application to wastewater from a plating and galvanization industries (PIs: Lahav, Dubovski).
13. 2007 - 2009. Mekorot. $70,000 Development of an analytical technique and investigation of odor removal from drinking water (PIs Dubowski, Lahav).
14. 2007 - 2009. Development of a novel cost effective post-treatment process for producing balanced nutrients composition and stabilized drinking water from desalinated and soft waters. Startup funding from private investors. In collaboration with Technion's R&D Foundation. Total startup sum: $1,400,000 for two years.
15. 2007 - 2008. Tahal. $17,500. Theoretical and empirical investigation into the effects of blending desalinated water with other water sources (With Dr. Ostfeld).
16. 2009. A novel process for removal of ammonia from piggery wastes. Renewable Resources Ltd. 150,000 NIS (~$35,000).
17. Minimization of bromate formation as part of a plasma-based process advanced oxidation technology. AquaPure Ltd. 50,000 NIS (~$13,000). 1.1.09 - 1.1.11.
18. 2009 - 2012. Assessment of Shamir well water for agriculture. 550,000 NIS (~$140,000). With Prof. Shaviv and Prof. Dozoretz.
19. 2010. Renewable Resources. $15,000. 'Development of a novel cost effective post-treatment process for desalinated water'.
20. 2010-2012. Agricultural Ministry 279,000 NIS (~$75,000), RAS monitoring project (continuation).
21. 2010 - 2013 BARD. $155,000. A novel physical-chemical-biological treatment process for swine wastes (with Prof. Green).
22. 2010 - 2014 ISF. $185,000. Selective separation of Mg2+ from seawater via combined ion-exchange and nanofiltration while minimizing Cl- concentration. With Profs. Dozoretz and Semiat.
23. 2010 - 2013 Ministry of Agriculture. 300,000 NIS (~$80,000). Promoting the cultivation of the Dakar fish species.
24. BMBF/MOS 2011-2012 (one year project), 80,000 Euro. Extraction of phosphorus compounds from wastewater for reuse as struvite fertilizer, via dosage of cheap seawater-based Mg2+ ions, separated using a novel NF-based method (with Prof. Eisen).
25. 2013-2015, BMBF/MOS (two-year continuation, separate research proposal), 123,000 Euro. Extraction of phosphorus compounds from wastewater for reuse as struvite fertilizer, via dosage of cheap seawater-based Mg2+ ions, separated using a novel NF-based method (with Prof. Eisen).
26. 2014-2017, Israeli Ministry of Agriculture, Chief Scientist Fund, $107,000 (375,000 NIS). Development and testing of a novel physico-chemical based process for growth of valuable fish in recirculating aquaculture systems.
27. 2014-2018, ISF, $206,000 (704,000 NIS). Development, calibration, evaluation and application of a new model for simulating weak-acid species cross-membrane reactive-transport in reverse osmosis: B(OH)3 as a case study.
28. 2015-2018, Ministry of Science and Technology, ~$400,000 (1,594,000 NIS) Development of a thermal-reduction-based technology for producing solid magnesium (Mg(s)) from Mg(II) separated from seawater RO brines. With Prof. Egyon (BGU, 48% of budget).
29. 2016-2019, BMBF/MOST, 165,000 Euro. Separating multivalent and monovalent ions and implementation in FCDI/RED. With Youri Gendel.
30. 2016-2017, Uzi and Michal Halevi fund for innovative applied research at the Technion. $20,000. Development of a Nanofiltration-DiaNanofiltration based method for selective separation of Mg and Ca ions and its incorporation in brackish and seawater RO applications.
Ph.D.: A physical-chemical-biological process for the removal of nitrogen compounds from secondary effluents (1998).
M.Sc.: Reuse of wastewater effluents in the urban sector in Israel (1994).
Papers in peer reviewed journals
Citations: 2287 (Google Scholar), 1540 (Scopus) and 1258 (Web of Science); 1307 excluding self-citations (Scopus), H index: GS 25, Scopus 20, WOS 18, i10index (GS) 61.
1. Green M., Mels A., Lahav O., Tarre S. (1996) Biological - ion exchange process for ammonium removal from secondary effluent. Water Sci. Technol., 34(1-2): 449-458.
2. Lahav O., Green M. (1998) Ammonium removal using ion exchange and biological regeneration. Water Research. 32(7): 2019-2028.
3. Lahav O and Loewenthal RE (2000) Rapid communication. Measurement of VFA in anaerobic digestion: the five-point titration method revisited. Water SA, 26(3): 389-393.
4. Lahav O., Green M. (2000) Bioregenerated ion exchange process: The effect of the biofilm on the ion exchange capacity and kinetics. Water SA, 26(1): 51-58.
5. Lahav O., Green M. (2000) Ammonium removal from primary and secondary effluents using a bioregenerated ion-exchange process. Water Sci. Technol., 42(1-2): 179-186.
6. Lahav O., Artzi E., Tarre S., Green M (2000) Ammonium removal using a novel unsaturated-flow biological filter with passive aeration. Water Research 35(2): 397-404..
7. Lahav O, Morgan BE and Loewenthal RE (2001) Measurement of pH, alkalinity and acidity in ultra-soft waters. Water SA, 27(4), 423-431.
8. Morgan B.E., Loewenthal R.E. and Lahav O. (2001) Rapid Communication. Fundamental study of a one-step Ambient Temperature Ferrite Process for treatment of acid mine drainage waters. Water SA, 27(2) 277-282.
9. Green M., Ruskol Y., Lahav O., Tarre S. (2001) Chalk as the carrier for nitrifying biofilm in a fluidized bed reactor. Water Research 35(1):284-290.
10. Lahav O., Morgan B.E., Loewenthal R.E. (2002) Rapid, simple and accurate method for measurement of VFA and carbonate alkalinity in anaerobic reactors. Environmental Science and Technology 36(12), 2736-2741.
11. Lahav O. and Loewenthal RE. (2002) Note on 'Measurement of pH, alkalinity and acidity in ultra-soft waters'. Water SA, 28(3), 346 - 348.
12. Green M, Denekamp N, Tarre S., Lahav O (2002) Production of gaseous nitrogen in a novel process for ammonium removal. Water Science & Technology 46(1-2): 215-222.
13. Morgan B.E., Hearne G., Loewenthal R.E., Lahav O. (2003) A seeded ambient temperature ferrite process for the treatment of AMD waters: magnetite formation in the presence of high calcium concentration under steady state conditions. Water SA 29(2), 117-124.
14. Lahav O, Morgan BE, Hearne G, and Loewenthal RE (2003) One-step ambient ferrite process for treatment of AMD waters. Journal of Environmental Eng., 129(2), 155-161.
15. Green M., Gidron E., Lahav O., Tarre S. (2004) Treatment of dairy wastewater using a vertical bed with passive aeration. Environmental Technology, 25(10), 1123-1131.
16. Lahav O., Lu Y., Shavit U., Loewenthal R.E. (2004) Modeling H2S(g) emission rates in gravity sewage collection systems. Journal of Environmental Eng., 130(11), 1382-1390.
17. Lahav O., Ritvo G., Slijper I, Hearne G and Cochva M. (2004) The potential of using iron-oxide rich soils for minimizing the detrimental effects of H2S in aquaculture systems. Aquaculture. 238(1-4), 263-281.
18. Lahav O., Morgan B. (2004) Appropriate methodologies for monitoring of anaerobic digestion in developing countries - a Review. Journal of Chemical Technology and Biotechnology, 79, 1331-1341.
19. Lahav O, Shlafman E., Cochva M. (2005) Determination of low citric acid concentrations in a mixture of weak acid/bases. Water SA, 31(4):1-6.
20. Morgan B.E., Lahav O., and Loewenthal R.E. (2005) Advances in seeded ambient temperature ferrite formation for treatment of acid mine drainage. Environmental Science and Technology, 39(19), 7678-7683.
21. Lahav O. (2005) Note on 'Modeling Hydrogen sulfide emission rates in gravity sewage collection systems'. Journal of Environmental Engineering, ASCE, 131(12), 1762-1764.
22. Admon S., Tarre S., Sabbah I., Lahav O. and Green M. (2005) Treatment of pre-settled municipal wastewater using a passively aerated vertical bed. Environmental Engineering Science. 22(6), 707-715.
23. Lahav O, Sagiv A., Friedler E. (2006) A different approach for predicting H2S(g) emission rates in gravity sewers. Water Research, 40(2), 259-266.
24. Lahav O., Binder A., Friedler E. (2006) A different approach for predicting reaeration rates in gravity sewers and completely mixed tanks. Water Environ. Research, 78(7), 730-739.
25. Eshchar M., Lahav O, Mozes N., Peduel A., Ron B. (2006) Intensive Fish Culture at High Ammonium and Low pH. Aquaculture, 255(1-4), 301-313.
26. Friedler E., Lahav O., Jizhaki H., Lahav T. (2006) Study of urban population attitudes towards various wastewater reuse options: Israel as a case study. Journal of Environmental Management, 81: 360-370.
27. Klas S., Mozes N., Lahav O. (2006) Development of a single-sludge denitrification method for nitrate removal from RAS effluents: lab-scale results vs. model prediction. Aquaculture, 259, 342-353.
28. Klas S., Mozes N., Lahav O. (2006) A conceptual, stoichiometry-based model for single-sludge denitrification in recirculating aquaculture systems. Aquaculture, 259, 328-341.
29. Friedler E., Lahav O. (2006). Centralized Urban Wastewater Reuse: What is the Public Attitude? Water Science and Technology, 54(6-7):423-430.
30. Lahav O., Birnhack L. (2007) Quality criteria for desalinated water following post treatment. Desalination, 207, 286-303.
31. Molchanov S., Gendel Y., Ioslvich I., Lahav O. (2007) An improved experimental and computational methodology for determining the kinetic equation and extant kinetic constants of Fe(II) oxidation by Acidithiobacillus ferrooxidans. Applied and Environmental Microbiology, 73(6), 1742-1752.
32. Alfia Y., Green M., Lahav O. (2007) Modeling the aeration efficiency of a passively aerated vertical-flow biological filter. Journal of Environ. Engineering, ASCE, 133(10), 970-978.
33. Morgan B.E., Lahav O. (2007) The effect of pH on the kinetics of spontaneous ferrous oxidation by O2 in aqueous solution - basic principles and a simple heuristic description. Chemosphere, 68(11), 2080-2084.
34. Birnhack L., Lahav O. (2007) A new post treatment process for attaining Ca2+, Mg2+, SO42- and alkalinity criteria in desalinated water. Water Research, 41(17), 3989-3997.
35. Yermiyahu U., Tal A., Ben-Gal A., Bar-Tal A., Tarchitzky J., and Lahav O. (2007) Rethinking desalinated water quality and agriculture. Science, 318, 920-921.
36. Birnhack L., Penn R., Lahav O. (2008) Quality criteria for desalinated water and introduction of a novel, cost effective and advantageous post treatment process. Desalination, 221, 70-83.
37. Firer D., Friedler E., Lahav O. (2008) Control of sulfide in sewer systems by dosage of iron salts: comparison between theoretical and experimental results, and practical implications. Science of the Total Environment, 392, 145-156.
38. Petrick L., Dubowski Y., Klas S., Lahav O. (2008) Incorporation of Co2+ into ferrite lattice: effects of inflow Fe2+/Co2+ ratio, temperature and intermediate solid ferrous species concentration. Water, Air and Soil Pollution, 190(1-4), 245-257.
39. Lahav O., Mor T., Heber A.J., Molchanov, S., Ramirez J.C., Li C., Broday D. (2008) A new Approach for Minimizing Ammonia Emissions from Poultry Houses. Water, Air and Soil Pollution, 191(1-4), 183-197.
40. Seginer I., Mozes N., Lahav O. (2008) Optimal water refreshment rate in recirculating aquaculture systems. Aquacultural Engineering, 38, 171-180.
41. Gendel Y., Lahav O. Accurate determination of Fe(II) concentrations in the presence of a very high soluble Fe(III) background. (2008) Applied Geochemistry, 23, 2123-2129.
42. Lahav O., Salomons E., Ostfeld A. (2009) Chemical stability of inline blends of desalinated, surface and ground waters: A plea for higher alkalinity values in desalinated water. Desalination, 239, 334-345.
43. Lahav O., Bar Massada I., Yackoubov D., Zelikson R., Mozes N., Tal Y., Tarre S. (2009) Quantification of anammox activity in a denitrification reactor for a recirculating aquaculture system. Aquaculture. 288:76-82.
44. Lew B., Cochva M. and Lahav O. (2009) Potential effects of desalinated water quality on the operation stability of wastewater treatment plants. Science of the Total Environment, 407, 1404-2410.
45. Birnhack L., Fridman N., Lahav O. (2009) Potential applications of quarry dolomite for post treatment of desalinated water. Desalination and Water Treatment, 1, 58-67.
46. Penn R., Birnhack L., Adin A., Lahav O. (2009) New desalinated drinking water regulations are met by an innovative post-treatment process for improved public health. Water Science and Technology - Water Supply 9(3):225-231.
47. Even-Ezra I., Mizrahi A., Gerrity D., Snyder S., Salveson A., Lahav O. (2009) Application of a novel plasma-based advanced oxidation process for efficient and cost effective destruction of refractory organics in tertiary effluents and contaminated groundwater. Desalination and Water Treatment 11:1-9.
48. Gendel Y., Levi N., Lahav O. (2009) H2S(g) removal using a modified, low-pH liquid redox sulfur recovery (LRSR) process with electrochemical regeneration of the Fe catalyst couple. Environmental Science and Technology, 43(21):8315-8319.
49. Birnhack L., Penn R., Oren S, Lehman O., Lahav O. (2010) Pilot scale evaluation of a novel post-treatment process and introduction of a modification based on CO2-calcite dissolution to attain a wide range of product water qualities. Desal. & Water Treatment 13, 128-136.
50. Birnhack L., Oren S., Lehman O., Lahav O. (2010) Development of an additional step to CO2-based CaCO3(s) dissolution post treatment processes for cost effective Mg2+ supply to desalinated water. Chemical Engineering Journal, 160:48-56.
51. Lahav O., Kochva M. and Tarchitzky J. (2010) Potential drawbacks associated with agricultural irrigation with treated wastewaters from desalinated water origin and possible remedies. Water Science and Technology, 61(10):2451-2460.
52. Birnhack L. Shlesinger N., Lahav O. (2010) A cost effective method for improving the quality of inland desalinated brackish water destined for agricultural irrigation. Desalination, 262, 152-160.
53. Lew B., Phalah S., Sheindorf H., Kummel M., Rebhun M., Lahav O. (2010) Favorable operational conditions for obtaining high value struvite-product from filtrate of sludge dewatering systems. Environmental Engineering Science, 27(9), 733-741.
54. Gendel Y., Lahav O. (2010) A new approach to increasing the efficiency of low-pH Fe-electro-coagulation applications. Journal of hazardous Materials, 183, 596-601.
55. Birnhack L., Voutchkov N., Lahav O. (2011). Fundamental chemistry and engineering aspects of post-treatment processes for desalinated water - a review. Desalination, 273, 6-22.
56. Klas S., Dubowski Y., Pritosiwi G., Gerth J., Calmano W., Lahav O. (2011) Extent and mechanism of metal ion incorporation into moderate-temperature precipitated ferrites. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science, 358, 129-135.
57. Ostfeld A., Salomons E., Lahav O. (2011) Chemical Water Stability Inclusion in Optimal Operation of Water Distribution Systems. J. of Water Resources Planning and Management.
58. Fridman N., Lahav O. (2011) Formation and minimization of bromate ions within non-thermal-plasma advanced oxidation. Desalination, 280, 273-280.
59. Klas, S., Dubowski Y. and Lahav O. (2011) Chemical stability and extent of isomorphous substitution in ferrites precipitated under ambient temperatures. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 193, 59-64.
60. Telzhensky M., Birnhack L, Lehmann O., Windler E., Lahav O. (2011) Selective separation of seawater Mg2+ ions for use in downstream water treatment processes. Chemical Engineering Journal, 175, 136-143.
61. Gendel Y. and Lahav O. (2012) Revealing the mechanism of indirect ammonia electrooxidation. Electrochimica acta, 63, 209-219.
62. Oren S., Birnhack L., Lehmann O., Lahav O. (2012) A different approach for brackish-water desalination, comprising acidification of the feed-water and CO2(aq) reuse for alkalinity, Ca2+ and Mg2+ supply in the post treatment stage. Separation and Purification Technology, 89, 252-260.
63. Nir O., Herzberg M., Sweity A., Birnhack L., Lahav O. (2012) A novel approach for SWRO desalination plants operation, comprising single pass boron removal and reuse of CO2 in the post treatment step. Chemical Engineering Journal, 187, 275-282.
64. Birnhack, L., Sabach S., Lahav O. (2012) Accurate approach for determining fresh-water carbonate (H2CO3*) alkalinity, using a single H3PO4 titration point. Talanta, 100, 12-20.
65. Nir O., Lahav O. (2013) Coupling mass transport and chemical equilibrium models for improving the prediction of SWRO permeate boron concentrations. Desalination, 310, 87-92.
66. Gendel Y. and Lahav O. (2013) A novel approach for ammonia removal from fresh-water recirculated aquaculture systems, comprising ion exchange and electrochemical regeneration. Aquacultural Engineering, 52, 27-38.
67. Nir O., Herzberg M., Lahav O. (2013) A new, energy-efficient approach for boron removal from SWRO plants. Desalination and Water Treatment, 51(7-9), 1651-1656.
68. Lahav O., Schwartz Y., Nativ P., Gendel Y. (2013) Sustainable removal of ammonia from anaerobic-lagoon swine waste effluents using an electrochemically-regenerated ion exchange process. Chemical Engineering Journal, 218, 214-222.
69. Lehmann O., Birnhack L., Lahav O. (2013) Design aspects of calcite-dissolution reactors applied for post treatment of desalinated water. Desalination, 314, 1-9.
70. Lahav O., Telzhensky M., Zewuhn A., Gendel Y., Gerth J., Calmano W, Birnhack L. (2013) Struvite recovery from municipal-wastewater sludge centrifuge supernatant using seawater NF concentrate as a cheap Mg(II) source. Separation and Purification Technology, 108, 103-110.
71. Ben Asher R., Seginer I., Mozes N., Nir O., Lahav O. (2013) Effects of sub-lethal CO2(aq) concentrations on the performance of intensively reared gilthead seabream (Sparus aurata) in brackish water: flow-through experiments and full-scale RAS results. Aquacultural Engineering, 56, 18-25.
72. Lehmann O., Nir O., Kuflik M., Lahav O. (2014) Recovery of high-purity magnesium solutions from RO brines by adsorption of Mg(OH)2(s) on Fe3O4 micro-particles and magnetic solids separation. Chemical Engineering Journal, 235, 37-45.
73. Kondash A.J., Warner N.R., Lahav O., Vengosh A. (2014) Radium and barium removal through blending hydraulic fracturing fluids with acid mine drainage. Environmental Science and Technology, 48(2), 1334-1342.
74. Klas S., Perlberg-Banet A., Smirnov R., Zivan A., Ophek L., Friedlander Y., Lahav O. (2014) A procedure for adjusting Grey mullet (Mugil cephalus Lin.) fingerlings to low-salinity, low-hardness waters for economic and environmentally-friendly inland culture. Aquacultural Engineering, 59, 55-63.
75. Nir O., Lahav O. (2014) Modeling weak acids reactive transport in reverse osmosis processes: a general framework and case studies for SWRO. Desalination, 343, 147-153.
76. Birnhack L., Nir O., Lahav O. (2014) Establishment of the underlying rationale and description of a cheap nanofiltration-based method for supplementing desalinated water with magnesium ions. Water, 6, 1172-1186.
77. Schwartz R., Lahav O., Ostfeld A. (2014) Integrated hydraulic and organophosphate pesticide injection simulations for enhancing event detection in water distribution systems. Water Research, 63, 271-284.
78. Nir O., Marvin E., Lahav O. (2014) Accurate and self-consistent procedure for determining pH in seawater desalination brines and its manifestation in reverse osmosis modeling. Water Research, 64, 187-195.
79. Nir, O., Vengosh A., Harkness J., Dwyer G., Lahav O. (2015). Direct measurement of the boron isotope fractionation factor: implications for accurate reconstruction of ocean paleo-pH. Earth and Planetary Science Letters. 414, 1-5.
80. Ohar Z., Lahav O., Ostfeld A. (2015) Optimal sensor placement for detecting organophosphate intrusions into water distribution systems. Water Research. 73, 193-203.
81. Lahav O., Ben-Asher R., Gendel Y. (2015). Potential applications of indirect electrochemical ammonia oxidation within the operation of freshwater and saline-water recirculating aquaculture systems. Aquacultural Engineering, 55-64.
82. Fox S., Mozes N., Lahav O., Mirzoyand N., Gross A. (2015) Treatment of nitrate-rich saline effluent by using citrate-rich waste as carbon source and electron donor in a single-stage activated sludge reactor. Water, Air & Soil Pollution. 226(5):1-10.
83. Birnhack L., Nir O., Lahav O. (2015) A new algorithm for design, operation and cost assessment of struvite (MgNH4PO4) precipitation processes. Environmental Technology, 36(15):1892-1901.
84. Epszhtein R., Lahav O., Nir O., Green M. (2015). Selective nitrate removal from groundwater using a hybrid nanofiltration-reverse osmosis filtration scheme. Chemical Engineering Journal, 279:372-378.
85. Fridman-Bishop N., Nir O., Lahav O., Freger V. (2015). Predicting the rejection of major seawater ions by spiral-wound nanofiltration membranes. Environmental Science and Technology, 49(14), 8631-8638.
86. Ophek L., Birnhack L., Nir O., Binshtein E., Lahav O. (2015) Reducing the specific energy consumption of 1st-pass SWRO by application of high-flux membranes fed with high-pH, decarbonated seawater. Water Research, 85:185-192.
87. Nir O., Fridman-Bishop N., Lahav O., Freger V. (2015) Predicting the pH of reverse osmosis permeates. Water Research, 87:328-335.
88. Lehmann O., Lahav, O. Birnhack L. (2016) Replenishing Mg(II) to desalinated water by a process comprising seawater nanofiltration and Mg(OH)2(s) adsorption on magnetically-separated Fe3O4 particles. Desalination and Water Treatment. 57(42), 19903-19916.
89. Nir O., Ophek L., Lahav O. (2016). Acid-base dynamics in seawater reverse osmosis: experimental evaluation of a reactive-transport algorithm. Environmental Science: Water Research and Technology (RCS), 2:107-116.
90. Nativ, P., Birnhack L., Lahav, O. (2016) DiaNanofitration-based method for inexpensive and selective separation of Mg2+ and Ca2+ ions from seawater, for improving the quality of soft and desalinated waters. Separation and Purification Technology, 166, 83-91.
91. Ben-Asher, R., Lahav, O. (2016) Electrooxidation for simultaneous ammonia control and disinfection in seawater-fed recirculating aquaculture systems. Aquacultural Engineering, 72, 77-87.
92. Ophek L., Nir O., Segal H., Lahav, O. (accepted) Comparing correlations for the temperature dependent boron permeability through reverse-osmosis membranes: implications for full-scale simulations. Desalination and Water Treatment.
93. Tang S., Birnhack L., Nativ P., Lahav O. (accepted) Highly-selective separation of divalent ions from seawater and seawater RO retentate. Separation and Purification Technology.
94. Lahav, O., Voutchkov N., Birnhack L. (2012) Post treatment of desalinated water. Desalination Publications. Eight-chapter textbook, 300 pp., August 2012.
95. Lahav O., Birnhack L., Klas S. (2010; 5th Ed. 2016) Aquatic chemistry for process engineers and environmental scientists. Nine-chapter textbook, 290 pp. (in Hebrew).
Chapters in textbooks
96. Reifen R., Rosen G., Lahav O. (2008) Intelligence of nutrition, Section 6 within Chapter 13, p. 370-379, 'The water we drink'. Impress Direct Media, Israel (in Hebrew).
97. Nir O., Lahav O. (2015) Single SWRO Pass Boron Removal at High pH: Prospects and Challenges, Chapter 15 within the textbook 'Boron separation processes', Editors: N. Hilal, E. Kabay, M. Bryjak. Publisher: Elsevier.
1. Ohar Z., Ostfeld A., Lahav O. Birnhack L. (2015) Modelling heavy metal contamination events in water distribution systems. Procedia Engineering 119, 328 - 336.
2. Ben Asher R., Lahav O. (2013) Effect of CO2 concentrations on the performance of Sparus Aurata fish in saline water. Daig Umidge, 2(44), 1692-1700 (in Hebrew).
3. Schwartz Y., Nativ P., Gendel Y., Lahav o. (2013) A new process for ammonia removal from anaerobic lagoons swine waste effluents. Water and Irrigation, 527, 28-31 (in Hebrew).
4. Klas S., Dubowski Y and Lahav O. (2011) Toward safe removal of heavy metals from wastewater. Ecology & Environment, 2(4), 258-264 (peer reviewed, in Hebrew).
5. Tarchitzky J., Cochva, M and Lahav O. (2010) Drawbacks of agricultural irrigation with treated wastewaters from desalinated water origin. Water Engineering, 67: 36-44. (in Hebrew).
6. Ostfeld A., Salomons E., and Lahav O. (2010). Chemical stability inclusion in optimizing the operation of water networks. Proceedings of the 12th WDSA Conference, Tucson, USA.
7. Lahav O. and Semiat R. Reflecting on water and energy budgets. (2010). Ecology and the Environment, Vol. 1, p. 82-83 (in Hebrew).
8. Lew B., Falah S., Revhun M., Sheindorf C., Kumel M. and Lahav O. (2008). Deliberate struvite precipitation downstream of anaerobic digestion reactors for both phosphorus reuse and minimization of operational problems. Water and Irrigation, 5026: 16-18 (in Hebrew).
9. Birnhack L., Penn R., Fridman N., David Y. and Lahav O. (2007) A novel process for adjusting desalinated water to the new water quality regulations + magnesium. Water and Irrigation, Vol. 496, p. 18-20 (in Hebrew).
10. Birnhack L, Rebhun M, Shaw E., and Lahav O. (2006) Criteria for the quality requested from desalinated water following post treatment - Part 2. Water and Irrigation, Vol. 480, p. 16-21 (in Hebrew).
11. Birnhack L, Rebhun M, Shaw E., and Lahav O. (2006) Criteria for the quality requested from desalinated water following post treatment - Part 1. Water and Irrigation, Vol. 479, p. 20-27 (in Hebrew).
12. Lahav O, Shlafman E. and Loewenthal R. (2002) Development of an accurate titration method to measure VFA concentrations in anaerobic reactors. Water and Irrigation Engineering. Vol. 22, p. 31-39 (in Hebrew).
13. Loewenthal RE, Morgan BE and Lahav O. (2001) Iron and heavy metals in acid mine drainage waters - equilibrium and treatment considerations. Water Sewage and Effluent. 21(1) 15-23.
14. Lahav O. and Green M. (1998). Development of a physical-chemical-biological treatment to remove ammonium from wastewater. Water Technologies, Vol. 37, p. 41-44 (in Hebrew).
15. Lahav O., Rom D., Ravina I. (1998) Wastewater reuse in the urban sector: quality and quantity considerations. Water and Irrigation, Vol. 39, p. 32-36 (in Hebrew).
16. Lahav O., Ravina I., Lahav A., and Rom D (1996). Urban water reuse: assessment of the public support in the city of Haifa. Water Technologies, Vol. 28, p. 20-28 (in Hebrew).
Public professional software (freely available from the net)
- Nir O., Ophek L., Lahav O. (2015) WATRO (Weak Acid Transport Reverse Osmosis simulation program). https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64822322/WATRO.zip.
- Nir O., Birnhack L., Telzhensky M., Lahav O. (2014) Algorithm for design and optimization of struvite precipitation from nutrient-rich steams. http://tx.technion.ac.il/~agrengn/agr/Struvite_Program.zip
- Lahav O., Morgan B.E. and Loewenthal R.E. (2002) 8-point Titration Method for Measurement of Carbonate Alkalinity and VFA in Anaerobic Reactors. A user-friendly computer program for control of anaerobic digestion plants. Available from http://www.technion.ac.il/technion/agr/VFA/vfa.htm.
v 2007 Hershel Rich Technion Innovation Award for the work 'Development of a cost effective and advantageous post treatment process for desalinated water'.
v 2007 Patent No.2005/10110, Acid Mine Drainage treatment was the recipient of the Innovation Fund Patent Incentive Fund award of the South African Government.
v 2010 Recipient of the France-Israel Foundation Award for Academic Excellence in the field of Water.
v 2014 Hershel Rich Technion Innovation Award for the work 'A novel and advantageous approach for operating intensive fish production systems'.
v 2016 Distinction of excellence for teaching the course 'Aquatic Chemistry' at the Technion (upper 12% grade in students' survey).
1. Lahav O., Nativ Paz. Birnhack Liat, Nir Oded. (2016) DiaNanofiltration-based method for cheap and selective separation of Mg2+ and Ca2+ ions from seawater, for improving the quality of soft and desalinated waters. Provisional patent #244854, filed on 31.3.16.
2. Lahav O., Ben Asher R., Gendel Y., Birnhack L. (2016). Disinfection and removal of nitrogen species from saline aquaculture systems. Provisional, 62/304,985, March 2016.
3. Green M., Epzshtein R., Nir O., Lahav O. (2015) Removal of nitrate from groundwater using a hybrin nanofiltration-reverse osmosis system. Provisional patent, filed May 2015.
4. Lahav O., Gendel Y., Mozes N., Perlberg A. and Hanin Y. (2010) A cost effective physico-chemical treatment process for removal of nitrogen and phosphorus species from recirculated aquaculture systems (RAS). Applied for in the US, EU and Chile (thus far granted in the European patent office; other locations pending).
5. Lahav O., Birnhack L. Addition of Mg2+ to desalinated water (re-mineralization) using the reject of nanofiltration (NF) or low salt-rejection reverse osmosis (RO) membranes. PCT int. application No. 61/177,774, May 13, 2010. Applied for in Israel, Singapore and Australia.
6. Lahav, O., Birnhack, L., Kochva, M., Penn, R. (2008). Post treatment for desalinated and soft water for balanced water composition supply. 29pp. Registered in Israel, China, Australia, Mexico and Singapore.
7. Acid Mine Drainage treatment. Patent No.2005/10110 in the name of UCT/WRC, Loewenthal, Morgan and Lahav. Registered in South Africa and Australia.
Refereed papers in international conference proceedings (presenters underlined)
1. Loewenthal RE, Morgan BE and Lahav (2000) 'Iron and heavy metals in acid mine drainage waters - equilibrium and treatment considerations'. Proceedings of the WISA Anaerobic Processes Division - Technology Transfer Workshop. August 2000, Johannesburg.
2. Green M., Artzi E., Tarre S., Lahav O. (2000) High rate vertical bed for nitrification. Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Wetland Systems for Water Pollution Control, Florida, Vol. 1, pp. 269-276.
3. Admon S., Tarre S., Sabbah I., Lahav O. and Green M. (2002). Treatment of pre-settled municipal wastewater using a passively aerated vertical bed. Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Wetland Systems for Water Pollution Control, Arusha, Tanzania, pp 615-626.
4. Green M., Gidron E., Lahav O. and Tarre S. (2002). Treatment of dairy wastewater using a vertical bed with passive aeration. Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Wetland Systems for Water Pollution Control. Vol. 1, pp 324-332.
5. Lahav O., Shlafman E, Morgan B., Loewenthal R. and Tarre S. (2002). Accurate on-site Volatile Fatty Acids (VFA) measurement in anaerobic digestion - verification of a new titrative method. VII Latin American Workshop and Symposium on anaerobic digestion. 22-25 October 2002, Merida, Yucatan. pp. 118-125.
6. Lahav O., Yue L., Shavit U., Friedler E., and Loewenthal RE. (2002). A semi-empirical approach for quantifying H2S(g) emission rates in gravity sewers. International Conference on Sewer Operation and Maintenance - SOM 2002, University of Bradford UK, Nov. 2002. Sponsored by IWA, EPSRC, CIWEM and The Institution of Civil Engineers.
7. Lahav O. and Loewenthal RE. (2003) A different approach towards characterizing very soft terrestrial waters. Asian Water Quality Conference (WATERQUAL), Oct. 19-23, 2003, Bangkok, Thailand.
8. Klas S., Johnson B., Mozes N., and Lahav O. (2004). Removal of nitrate from marine recirculating aquaculture systems using solids hydrolysis and denitrification in a single reactor. Proceeding of the Fifth International Conference on Recirculating Aquaculture, Roanoke, Virginia, USA July 23-24, 2004, pp. 339-349.
9. Eshchar M., Mozes N., Ron B., Peduel A., Lahav O. (2004) Control of toxic metabolites in intensive fish rearing systems - allowing low water exchange without using a nitrification filter. Proceeding of the Aquaculture European Conference, Barcelona, Spain, October 20-23, pp. 324-325.
10. Friedler E and Lahav O. (2005) Centralized Urban Wastewater Reuse: What is the Public Attitude? 10ICUD, 10th International Conference on Urban Drainage. Copenhagen, Denmark, August 2005. Organized by IWA and IAHR. (8 p., on CD).
11. Klas S., Mozes N. and Lahav O. (2006) Development and empirical assessment of a model describing NO3- removal from RAS using the activated sludge concept with intrinsic organic matter as the electron donor. Sixth International Conference on Recirculating Aquaculture, Roanoke, Virginia, July 21 - 23, 2006. (10 p., on CD)
12. Birnhack L. and Lahav O. (2006) Development of a cost effective and advantageous post treatment process for desalinated water. First international conference - From Invention and Development to Product held in Sde Boker, Israel, November 28-30, pp. 113-117.
13. Ostfeld A., Lahav O., and Salomons E. (2007). 'Desalinated water sources inclusion in optimizing the operation of water systems', Water Management Challenges in Global Change, Ulanicki et al. (Eds.), CCWI2007 and SUWM2007 Conference, De Montfort University, Leicester, United Kingdom, Taylor and Francis Group, London, pp. 387-390.
14. Penn R., Birnhack L., Adin A. and Lahav O. (2008) New Desalinated Drinking Water Regulations are met by an Innovative Post-Treatment Process for Improved Public Health Singapore Water Week Conference, June 23-26, 2008.
15. Birnhack L., Penn R., Oren S., Lehmann O. and Lahav O. (2009) Pilot scale evaluation of a novel post treatment process and introduction of a modification based on CO2-calcite dissolution to attain a wide range of product water qualities. Proceedings of 'Desalination for the Environment. Clean Water and Energy', 17-20/05/2009, Baden-Baden, Germany.
16. Lew B., Kummel M., Sheindorf C., Phalah S., Rebhun M and Lahav, O. (2009) Determining the operational conditions required for homogenous struvite precipitation from belt press supernatant. International conference on nutrient recovery from waste streams, May 10-13 2009, Vancouver, Canada.
17. Ostfeld A., Lahav, O. and Salomons E. (2010) Chemical stability inclusion in optimizing the operation of water networks. Water distribution system analysis 2010. Tucson AZ, USA. September 12-15, 2010.
18. Klas S., Dubowski Y., Kirk D.W. and Lahav O (2011) AMD treatment by the ferrite process - opportunities and challenges. Mining & the Environment International Conference, Sudbury, Canada, June 25-27, 2011.
19. Friedler E., Eid K., Alfiya Y., Lahav O. (2011) Quantification and verification of the QUEST method as a tool for rapid assessment of exfiltration from gravity sewers. 12th Int. Conf. on Urban Drainage (ICUD). Organized by IAHR and IWA, Porto Alegre, September 2011 (8 p. on CD).
20. Nir O., Herzberg M. and Lahav O. (2012) A new, energy-efficient approach for boron removal from SWRO plants. EDS conference 'Desalination and the Environment' in Barcelona, April, 23-26, 2012 (also published in Desalination and Water Treatment journal).
21. Zewuhn, A., Gerth, J., Lahav, O., and Calmano, W. (2012) Use of desalination concentrate as a magnesium source for struvite precipitation from wastewater. Crete 2012, 3rd International Conference on Industrial and Hazardous Waste Management.
22. Gendel, Y., Benet-Perlberg, A., Mozes, N., and Lahav O. (2012) A new RAS operational approach: removing nitrogen without biofilters. 9th international Conference on Recirculating Aquaculture, Roanoke VA, USA, August 24-27, 2012.
23. Lahav O., Telzhensky M., Zewuhn A., Gendel Y., Gerth J., Birnhack L., Calmano W. (2012) Extraction of phosphorus compounds from wastewater for reuse as struvite fertilizer, via dosage of cheap seawater-based Mg2+ ions, separated using a novel NF-based method. Annual meeting of the BMBF/MOS Water Research Foundation. October 2012.
24. Ohar Z, Ostfeld A, Lahav O and Birnhack L. (2015) Modelling heavy metal contamination events in water distribution systems. 13th Computer Control for Water Industry Conference, CCWI 2015.
Plenary, keynote or invited talks
- Invited talk. Reducing the specific energy consumption of 1st pass RO. 2nd Water-Energy in China Workshop. Hosted by Duke-Kunshan University. Kunshan, China, October 15, 2015.
- Invited talk. A new RAS operational approach. Within the workshop 'India tilapia summit 2014' endorsed by the Indian Ministry of Commerce. Vijayawada, India. December, 18, 2014.
- Invited talk. P supply through cheap struvite production in near-shore WWTP. Meeting global food security challenges: Efficient nutrients provision, technology and knowledge transfer. Technion, Haifa, February 24-25, 2014.
- Invited talk. Improving the quality of desalinated water. In 'Sustainability through renewable energy & aquaculture', Sarasota Sister Cities International Conference, University of South Florida-Sarasota/Manatee, USA. November 13-15, 2013.
- Keynote speech. A new physical-chemical approach for efficient and cost effective fresh-water RAS operation. 2nd workshop on Recirculating Aquaculture Systems, October 10-11, 2013, Aalborg, Denmark.
- Invited talk. Overview of post treatment alternatives for improving the mineral quality of desalinated water. Jerusalem, May, 14, 2012. Meeting with the members of the Dutch Advisory Board on Drinking Water Quality.
- Invited talk. New approaches for bettering the quality of desalinated water. Presentation in Paris (France) upon receipt of the 2010 France-Israel Foundation Water Engineering prize.
- Invited talk. Desalinated water: quantitative and qualitative issues. 7th world forum of sustainable development. Franco-Israeli views on sustainable development. June 10, 2009, Jerusalem.
- Invited talk. Quality of desalinated water and introduction of a novel process aimed at meeting stringent quality requirements. French Technion Society annual scientific event held at UNESCO, Paris. December 18, 2008.
- Invited talk. Modeling denitrification and anammox activity in a system aimed at complete nitrogen removal from effluents of intensive seawater fishponds. DIARP Workshop, March 5 - 8, 2007, Wageningen University, Netherlands.
- Invited talk. Denitrification in RAS using intrinsic organic matter and a single reactor concept. In: Securing Product Quality and Production Sustainability in Recirculating Aquaculture (Freshwater and Marine) Systems - Joint workshop between the National Center for Mariculture (NCM), IOLR of Israel and Wageningen University, April 1-3, 2004. Netherlands.
- Invited talk. Development of a new, simple, accurate and cheap method for monitoring and control of anaerobic reactors treating municipal and industrial waters. Frontiers of Science and Eng. symposium, September 21, 2003, Istanbul, Turkey. Sponsored by US National Academies.
Invited talks (National)
- Quality issues associated with large scale desalinated water production and distribution in Israel. Conference on Water and Environmental Issues, Tel Hay College, June 27, 2010.
- Quality issues associated with desalinated water and agriculture. Within the conference 'Desalinated Water and Agriculture' organized by the Ministry of Agriculture, March 3, 2010, Bet Dagan, Israel.
- Deliberate struvite precipitation from anaerobic digester supernatants in wastewater treatment plants. Workshop on wastewater treatment technologies organized by the national water company Mekorot. Tel Aviv, September 6, 2007.
- Quality criteria for desalinated water and the effect of the introduction of a large volume of desalinated water on Israel's water system. Workshop of the Israeli Union of Water Professionals. Held in Rupin College, December 6, 2006.
- Post treatment of desalinated water: quality and engineering considerations (2006) 3rd Annual Symposium of the Israeli Water Association. Beer Sheva, Israel, May 2006.
- Removal of nitrate from marine recirculating aquaculture systems: Seabream growth in Eilat as a case study. Resnick annual meeting at the Chemical Eng., Technion, April 21, 2005.
- Removal of nitrate from marine recirculating aquaculture systems using solids hydrolysis and denitrification in a single reactor. Sea Bream culture as a test case. Annual conference of the Israeli Society of Agricultural Engineering. March 3, 2005, Haifa, Israel.
- Nitrate Removal from Marine RAS: Process Engineering and Scientific Considerations. The 9th annual Dan Popper Symposium, February 17, 2005, Eilat, Israel
- Modeling H2S emission in gravity sewers - Model development and validation. 2nd Annual Symposium of the Israeli Water Association. Tel Aviv, Israel, May 2004.
Contributed talks (no accompanying proceedings)
- Lahav O. A new post treatment process designed for adapting desalinated water to the new Israeli regulations, plus magnesium ions. International session within the annual conference of the Israeli Water Association. Ramat Gan, Israel, March 19, 2008.
- Lahav O. Single sludge denitrification in recirculating aquaculture systems: conceptual model and empirical results. AQUA 2006, May 9 - 13, 2006, Florence, Italy.
- Lahav O. (2002) Rapid, simple and accurate method for measurement of VFA and carbonate alkalinity in anaerobic reactors. Presented at the Annual conference of the Israel Society for Ecology and Environmental Quality, Tel Aviv, December, 17-18, 2002 (In Hebrew).
- Lahav O., Morgan BE, Hearne G. and Loewenthal RE. A one-step ambient temperature ferrite process for treatment of acid mine drainage. 18th Umbrella Symposium. Water Resources Quality Research, 9 - 13 December 2002. Aachen, Germany.
- Lahav O. and Green M. 'Ammonium removal from primary and secondary effluents using a bioregenerated ion-exchange process', IAWQ Conference held in Jerusalem (1999).
- Lahav O. and Green M. 'Ammonium removal using zeolites and bioregeneration. Specialized INRA conference on nutrient removal, Narbonne (1998).
Participation in organizing conferences
- Member of the program committee of the 3rd annual Israel Water Association conference, June 2006, Beer Sheva.
- Member of the program committee and scientific advisor for the program of the 4th annual Israel Water Association conference, March 2007 in Ramat Gan.
- Organizer of departmental workshop, January 3, 2013, held at the Technion.
Chairperson at scientific conferences
1. Asian Water Quality Conference (WATERQUAL), Oct. 19-23, 2003, Bangkok, Thailand. Chaired Session C - 'Drinking Water Quality Treatment and Distribution'.
2. Annual conference of the Israel Society for Ecology and Environmental Quality, Tel Aviv, June 2004. 'Wastewater Treatment' session.
3. Annual conference of the Israel Society for Ecology and Environmental Quality, Haifa, June 2006. 'Water Reuse' session.
4. March 2012. Chair of Water session within 26th Umbrella symposium held at Technion, March 19, 2012.
5. April 2012, Chair of Session 'Contaminant removal' within the conference 'Desalination and the Environment' held in Barcelona, April 22 - 26, 2012.