B.Sc. – 1972; Chemistry, M.Sc. - 1974, Physical Chemistry Hebrew Uni. Jerusalem, Cum Laude.
D.Sc. - 1982, Soil Science, Agricultural Eng. Technion
Recent Positions: 2015-07-2016: Academic Recruitment Comm. - Guangdong Technion Israel Inst. of Technology - GTIIT (Technion campus, Guangdong, China); 2012-2014: Director of Grand Water Research Institute – GWRI; 2007-2011: Head Dept. of Environmental, Water and Agricultural Engineering;(CEE; Technion-IIT).
Guided >30 MSc and 9 PhD, 6 Post-docs; (Link http://www.graduate.technion.ac.il/Theses/Advisors.asp?Key=14922); Published >85 articles in international journals and presented in more than 70 international meetings (>35 as invited speaker). Teaching: “Intro. to Soil Chemistry”; “Soil Chemistry, Agrochemicals and Pollution" and "Use of treated wastewater".
Selected Professional Nominations- Member of TAC -Technical Advisory US-IL Comm. - BARD (2003 – 2007 and 2016); Chair of Steering Comm. for: 1. “Effluent Utilization in Agriculture”; 2. "Efficient use of Water" (Nominated by the Chief Scientist - Ministry of Agric.2005-2007); Chair of the "Water Forum" - Shamuel Neeman Institute-Technion; Nominated Scientific Israeli delegate at the EU-FP7 "Environment and Global Warming Committee" (2009-2012); Adjunct Professor in the School of Agriculture and Biosciences of Karunya University, India (2017-2019).
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS (graduates underlined)
-Shaviv, A., S.V. Mattigod, P.F. Pratt & M. Joseph, 1985. Potassium exchange in five southern California soils with high K fixation capacity. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J., 49: 1128-1133.
- Shaviv, A., I. Ravina & D. Zaslavsky, 1988. Flocculation of clay suspensions by an anionic soil conditioner. Applied Clay Science, 3:193-203.
-Hagin, J., S.R. Olsen amd A. Shaviv. 1990. Review of interaction of ammonium - nitrate and potassium nutrition of crops. J. Plant Nutr. 13:1211-1226.
-Wang, F., Bear, J. and Shaviv, A. 1998. Modeling simultaneous release, diffusion and nitrification of ammonium in the soil surrounding a granule or nest containing ammonium-fertilizer. European J. Soil Sci. 49:351-64.
-Shaviv, A. 2000. Advances in Controlled Release of Fertilizers. “Advances in Agronomy”, 71:1-49.
-Tamar Oved, Avi Shaviv, Tal Goldrath, Raphi T. Mandelbaum and Dror Minz 2001. Effect of effluent irrigation on community structure and function of ammonia oxidizing bacteria in soil. Applied Envir. Micro. 67 (8) 3426-3433.
- Shaviv, et. al., 2003. IR Fiberoptic Systems for In Situ and Real Time Monitoring of Nitrate in Water and Environmental Systems. Envir. Sci. & Tech. 37:2807-2812.
- Shaviv, A. Smadar Raban, and E. Zaidel. 2003. Model of diffusion release from polymer coated granular fertilizers. Envir. Sci. & Tech. 37:2251-2256.
- Master, Y., U. Shavit and A. Shaviv. 2004. Modified Isotope Pairing Technique to Study N Transformations in Polluted Aquatic Systems. Envir. Sci. & Tech. 39:1749-1756.
- Kremen, A., J. Bear, U., Shavit and A. Shaviv. 2005. A model demonstrating the potential for coupled nitrification denitrification in aggregated soil. Envir. Sci. & Tech. 39: 4180-4188. http://184.108.40.206/english/pdf/Professors/Uri_Shavit/7.pdf
- Linker, R and A. Sahviv. 2006. Nitrate Determination using Anion Exchange Membranes and Mid-Infrared Spectroscopy. Applied Spectroscopy 60 (9): 1008-10126. http://220.127.116.11/english/pdf/Professors/Avi_Shaviv/6.pdf
- Levin, Anna. Indelman P. and A. Shaviv. 2007. Influence of Root Resistivity on Plant Water Uptake Mechanism, Part I: Numerical Solution". Transport in Porous Media (2007), 70(1), 81-95.
- Du, C.; Linker, R.; Shaviv, A.. 2008. Identification of agricultural Mediterranean soils using mid-infrared photoacoustic spectroscopy. Geoderma, 143(1-2), 85-90. https://cee.technion.ac.il/eng/ftp/characterization.pdf.
- Zohar, I, A. Paytan and A. Shaviv. 2010. A Method for the Analysis of Oxygen Isotopic Composition of Various Soil Phosphate Fractions. Envir. Sci. & Tec., 44(19), 7583-7588. http://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/es100707f
- Nedal Massalha, A. Shaviv and Isam Sabbah. 2010. Modeling the effect of immobilization of microorganisms on the rate of biodegradation of phenol under inhibitory conditions. Water Research, Volume 44, Issue 18, October 2010, Pages 5252-5259;
- Kira, Oz, Raphael Linker and Avi Shaviv. 2014. A Novel method combining FRIT-ATR spectroscopy and stable isotopes to investigate the kinetics of nitrogen transformations in soils. Soil Sci. Soc. A.J., 78(1)54-60.
- Dubowski Y., D. Harush, A. Shaviv, L. Stone, R. Linker. 2014. Real time monitoring of N2O emissions from agricultural soils using FTIR spectroscopy. Soil Sci. Soc. A.J., 78(1)61-69.
- Myrold, D. and A. Shaviv. 2014. A Collection of Papers from “Advanced Methods for Investigating Nutrient Dynamics in Soils and Ecosystems. Soil Sci. Soc. A.J., 78(1)1-2.
- Iris Zohar, B. Cade-Menun, A. Paytan and A. Shaviv. 2014. Phosphorus Transformations from Wastewater to Irrigated Soil: A 31P NMR Study. Soil Sci. Soc. A.J., 78 (6):1884-1892. https://dl.sciencesocieties.org/publications/sssaj/abstracts/78/6/1884.
- Paudel, Indira; Shaviv, A.; Bernstein, N.; Heuer, B.; Shapira, O.; Bar-Tal, A.; Rotbart, N.; Ephrath, J.; Cohen, S. 2015. Lower leaf gas-exchange and higher photorespiration of treated wastewater irrigated Citrus trees is modulated by soil type and climate; Physiologia Plantarum- 156 (4): 478-496
- Osterholz, W. R.; Rinot, O; Shaviv, A.; Linker, R.; Sanford, G.; Strock, J.; Liebman, M.; Castellano, M. 2017. Different Soil-related Factors Predict Gross vs. Potential N Mineralization. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 540 81(5), 1115-1126.
- Paudel, Indira; Shabtai Cohen, Lyudmila Shlizerman, Amit K. Jaiswa, Avi Shaviv & Avi Sadka. 2017. Reductions in root hydraulic conductivity in response to clay soil and treated waste water are related to PIPs down-regulation in Citrus; Scientific Reports 7, Article number: 15429; https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-15762-2.
- Oshri R., W. R. Osterholz, M. J. Castellano, R. Linker, M. Liebman & A. Shaviv.2018. Excitation-Emission-Matrix Fluorescence Spectroscopy of Soil Water Extracts to Predict Nitrogen Mineralization Rates. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 82 (1), 126-135.https://www.researchgate.net/publication/322455688_Excitation-Emission-Matrix_Fluorescence_Spectroscopy_of_Soil_Water_Extracts_to_Predict_Nitrogen_Mineralization_Rates.
- Oz Kira, A. Shaviv and Y. Dubowski. 2019. Direct Tracing of NH3 and N2O Emissions Associated with Urea Fertilization Approaches, Using Static Incubation Cells; Sci. of Total Env. 661:75-85.
Invited/Plenary Talks: International Meetings (selected last decade)
- "The Nitrogen cycle in Israeli agro-ecosystems"; DIARP workshop on "The Application of Novel Isotopic Methods for the Identification and Quantification of Nitrous Oxide Emission Pathways from Agro-Ecosystems", Altera, Wageningen, The Netherlands March 2007.
- "Sustainable Re-use of Reclaimed Wastewater in Agriculture – Current Experience and Future Challenges". WaterTech Central Asia: The 1st Central Asian International Water Technology Exhibition and Conference. Almaty, Kazakhstan, September 2008.
- "Sustainable re-use of reclaimed wastewater - The Israeli Experience". Yangling International Agri-Science Forum, Northwest A&F University, Shaanxi Province, China, November 2009.
- “Sustainable re-use of reclaimed wastewater for irrigation – The Israeli Experience”; Special Invited Presentation at School of Natural Resources, DOUC Universita Catolica, Santiago, Chile, 7-10-2013.
- “Options for Confronting Water Security and Food Scarcity Challenges in a World of Climate Change and Land and Water Resources Degradation”; International Seminar- Uso Racional de Aqua – Rational Use of Water; Universidad Sur-colombia; Huila, Colombia; 12-15 November 2014.
- “Water Security: A Perspective from Israel” & “Improved Irrigation for Sustainable Yield Increase – Important Points to Remember”; World Bank International Meeting of Experts - Washington DC Water Week - March 2017
- “Multiphase Tracking of N-Speciation Dynamics in Greenhouse and Laboratory Experiments to Improve Evaluation & Management of Enhanced Efficiency N-fertilization”; Key-Note at Int. Conference on Slow & Controlled-Release and Stabilized Fertilizers (SCRSFs); + "Improved Prediction of Nitrogen Mineralization Rates by Fluorescence Spectroscopy"; Key-Note at - 17th New Ag International Conference; both delivered in Dublin Ireland; March 2019;
Invited Series of Lectures (recent)
- Series of lectures to students and academic staff of Lovely Professional University, Jalandhar, India (Match 2012); main topics: a. Use of reclaimed wastewater in Israel; b. Water research activity at Technion-IIT;
- Series of lectures to students and academic staff of Northwest A&F University, Yangling (XIAN), Shaanxi, China, on “ Efficient Use of Water and Wastewater in Agriculture”, 1-8th September, 2013.
- Lecture for special course - "Water scarcity, solutions, and trade-offs" the School of Public Policy and Urban Affairs' at Northeastern University, Boston, 5th February, 2014.
Consultant as Moderator for the Global Programs Unit - Water Global Practice, (World Bank): 10-17 October 2015.
Organization of Conferences / Workshops/special events (recent, selected):
- Chair Dahlia Greidinger International Symposium on "Crop Production in the 21st Century: Global Climate Change, Environmental Risks and Water Scarcity" Technion, Haifa, March 2009. http://gwri-ic.technion.ac.il/pdf/DG/2009/0.pdf
- Chair of WATER FORUM (Samuel Neeman Insitute) – first forum meeting on: "Managements Policy of Israeli Reclaimed Wastewater Resources", March, 8th 2010, GWRI, Technion.
- Co-Chair of the Dahlia Greidinger International Symposium on "Sensing in Agriculture", Held March 2011, Technion, Haifa, Israel. http://gwri-ic.technion.ac.il/pdf/DG/2011/1.pdfl/;
- Chair of WATER FORUM (Samuel Neeman Insitute) – second forum meeting on: "Water and Agriculture", March, 8th 2011, GWRI, Technion. https://www.neaman.org.il/Files/6-361.pdf
- Chair of the Dahlia Greidinger International Symposium on “Advanced methods for investigating nutrient dynamics in soils” March 2013, Technion. https://dgsymp.net.technion.ac.il/the-dahlia-greidinger-symposium-2013/
- Coordinator and Chair of session – “Irrigation Technology for Food Security”; Watec-Israel,2013.
- Coordinator of Special event- WETSKILLS Israel 2013 - Dutch and Israeli Master Students Offer Solutions to Water Issues in Israel; http://www.technion.ac.il/en/2013/12/wetskills-israel-2013-3/
- Chair of 12th Dahlia Greidinger Sym. - “Water-Soil-Nutrients: Integrated Solutions for Assuring Global Food and Water Security”, March 2016, Technion, https://dgsymp.net.technion.ac.il/the-dahlia-greidinger-international-symposium-2016/
- Co-chair & organizer of 13th Dahlia Greidinger Sym.- “Sustainable Primary Food Production Emphasizing Soil - Water and Environmental Conservation”; March 2019, Technion. https://dgsymp.net.technion.ac.il/files/2019/02/Abstract.pdf